May Rose Society Meeting:
Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 7 p.m.: How to Start Roses from Cuttings. A panel of Consulting Rosarians and other gardening experts will share and demonstrate various techniques for starting roses. With a little bit of effort and very little cost, you can successfully start old garden roses as well as newer roses. All Welcome! (You do not need to be a member to attend–come to our meeting to see what the Rose Society is all about!)
Spring Rose Show: May 20-21, 2017
The 2017 Albuquerque Spring Rose Show is set for Saturday and Sunday, May 20, 21, 2017 at the Albuquerque Garden Center. This year’s theme is “A Time To Remember” in celebration of Memorial Day and all that it signifies. For more details, see the Rose Show page.
Summer Patio Party. Memorial Day, May 29, 2017
Rose Society members are invited to our annual Summer Patio Party. Please RSVP to Bill Farmer at: email@example.com.
2017 Albuquerque Rose Society Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of most months at 7 p.m. at the Albuquerque Garden Center (see map below). Everyone is welcome, members and non-members alike.
Meetings are held February through May at the Albuquerque Garden Center. Each meeting includes a special rose-related program with topics ranging from how to landscape with roses to learning about the hidden stories behind our favorite rose names. Refreshments are served and a brief business meeting is held afterward.
In May we gather at the Albuquerque Rose Garden (at the Tony Hillerman Library) for our First Blooms in the Garden Party.
Our June meeting is generally a Summer Patio Party at the home of one of our members.
Meetings are suspended in July and August to allow us to tend our own roses.
Regular meetings resume in September, October and November.
Our December meeting is our Annual Holiday Party held at a local restaurant.
Albuquerque Rose Society 2017 Year Highlights:
- Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 7 p.m.: “Weeds. Weeds, and More Weeds.” Presented By: Margo Murdock, Albuquerque Master Gardener and Past Coordinator of ABQ Master Gardeners.
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 7 p.m.: Tool Cleaning and Sharpening Clinic. Just in time for spring pruning, John Lucero will offer a hands-on tool sharpening and maintenance clinic. Feel free to bring your tools to practice on!
- Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 7 p.m.: Want to better understand how to read the rose show schedule? Ever filled out your entry card incorrectly? Or wished you knew how to begin to create an arrangement to enter in the show? Join our panel of rose show veterans to learn answers to these and other frequently asked rose show questions.
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 7 p.m.: How to Start Roses from Cuttings. A panel of Consulting Rosarians and other gardening experts will share and demonstrate various techniques for starting roses. With a little bit of effort and very little cost, you can successfully start old garden roses as well as newer roses.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, May 19, 20, 21, 2017: Albuquerque Rose Show (See Rose Show menu item above for details.)
- (No formal meetings in June, July or August.)
- May 29, 2017: Summer Patio Party
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 7 p.m.:Incorporating Roses Into the Existing Landscape. Learn about how to coordinate and integrate roses alongside other favorite garden plants. Use them to disguise unsightly elements, create hedges, or create a showy central focus in your landscape.
- Saturday & Sunday, September 23, 24, 2017, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
Albuquerque Rose Society Fall Exhibition at the Albuquerque Botanic Garden.
- Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 7 p.m.: Microclimates. Hear from a National Weather Service professional about how microclimates impact our gardening. Learn how to identify, adjust for, and even leverage the deviations that can occur from area to area in our yards.
- Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 7 p.m.: What Else Can You Do With Roses? It’s commonly understood that roses are a tremendous accent in decorating indoors and out and for expressing feelings, but what else? Join us in November to learn about dozens of cosmetic, culinary, and medicinal uses for roses.
- December Holiday Party (date to be announced)
Albuquerque Rose Society meetings are held monthly at the
Albuquerque Garden Center–-see map above.